Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/home/content/78/3591378/tmp/sess_lamd092ao7rhteghoft5329in4, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /home/content/78/3591378/html/includes/userconfig.php on line 2

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/78/3591378/html/includes/userconfig.php:2) in /home/content/78/3591378/html/includes/userconfig.php on line 2

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/content/78/3591378/html/includes/userconfig.php:2) in /home/content/78/3591378/html/includes/userconfig.php on line 2
Car Insurance

Why do I need car Insurance?

The moment you own a car, you have the risk of it being stolen, lost in fire or vandalized. Once you start driving it, there is the risk of damaging your own car, others property, injuring or causing death of another individual or yourself.

In the province of Ontario, the government requires you as a member of the society to take on certain responsibilities. It has made it mandatory to carry a certain amount of insurance. The Government requires you to carry liability coverage to make sure that you have the money to pay for losses (eg. property damage, injury, death) you might cause to others while driving. The Government also requires you to carry basic accident benefit coverage to cover your own medical expenses and loss of income resulting from injuries caused by a car accident.

Physical damage of your car which is covered under your collision and comprehensive coverage is optional. If you so choose, you could transfer these risks to the insurance company also. On the other hand, if you lease or take a loan against your vehicle, your leasing or financing company will require you to carry physical damage coverage which is referred to as collision and comprehensive. The leasing and financing companies want to make sure that their money is guaranteed by the insurance company in case of physical damage.

What are the coverages?


This coverage will pay if you are legally found responsible for killing or injuring someone, or damaging his or her property in a car accident. If you are sued, your insurance company will pay for your legal defense costs. If you are found legally responsible, your insurance will pay the other party on your behalf, up to your liability limit. For example, if you had insured yourself for $1 million and the judgment against you is $2 million, then your insurance company will pay $1 million on your behalf and you will be responsible for paying the other $1 million.

Accident Benefits:

This coverage is available if you are injured in a car accident. It pays for the medical care and loss of income regardless of who caused the accident.

Uninsured Automobile Coverage:

This will provide coverage if someone is injured or killed by an uninsured motorist or by a hit and run driver.

Direct Compensation - Property Damage:

This part of your automobile policy will provide coverage if your vehicle is damaged in an accident that was not entirely your fault. This is coverage that will repair your vehicle in a not at fault accident.

Collision or Upset:
This coverage will pay for the repair of your car if it is involved in a collision with another object or tips over.


This is a broad form coverage which pays for the damage to your car caused by something other than a collision or upset. In other words, damage to your vehicle unrelated to driving. For example, fire, theft, vandalism, hail, lightening, wind storms, rising water, earthquake, explosion, riots, falling or flying objects, falling or forced landing of an aircraft, or parts of an aircraft. The stranding, sinking, burning, derailment or collision of any kind of transport in or upon which your car is being carried on land or water.

All Perils:

This option combines the collision or upset and comprehensive coverages.


These are coverages you can add on to your policies. For example rental car coverage/loss of use.

What is a Deductible?

A deductible is the amount you agree to pay toward the cost of any single claim you make under your physical damage coverage. For example (where deductible applies) if you have a $500 deductible and the damage to your vehicle is $1500 you’ll pay the first $500 and the insurance company will pay the remaining thousand. Any damage up to $500 will be paid out of your pocket. The insurance company will only pay for loss or damage that exceeds the amount of your deductible. In other words, you are self insuring your vehicle up to $500, in the above example.
Latest News
  U.K. Insurance Brokers Inc. and the PROLINK...
Insurers beware: National watchdog...

Warning: Unknown: open(/home/content/78/3591378/tmp/sess_lamd092ao7rhteghoft5329in4, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct () in Unknown on line 0